See the Sections below for Permit Applications and          Submittal Requirements in HD4.

We have new email addresses for permit applications:

Access Permits          [email protected]

Utility Permits            [email protected]

Permit fees can be paid by phone with credit or debit card.

See the Forms and Maps page for all other applications

Oversize / Overlegal Permitting

All oversize/overlegal permitting within HD4 is now overseen by Idaho Transportation Department through their Permitting Department.  HD4 is electronically notified to review overlegal permit requests on highway district roads and bridges, and provides comment, conditions, or approval to ITD on these requests.  See ITD's Permit Home Page at 

Access Permits

A permit is required for any construction, reconstruction, or change in use of any access to the public highway system within Highway District No. 4.

Please include the following items with your permit application:

  • Completed and signed permit application:
    • Public Road Name (road you wish to take access from)
    • Parcel Number, Subdivision Name, Lot & Block, and/or property address
    • Driveway width
    • Driveway surface type (gravel, asphalt or concrete)
    • Include applicant name, address, phone number, and email address.  Construction deposits will be refunded to the applicant name and address shown on the permit.
  • Site plan showing the property boundaries, adjacent road(s), and proposed driveway location.
  • If no public road frontage is available for the proposed access location, evidence of a recorded access easement must be included with the application.
  • Please do not send applications or site plan pictures taken with electronic devices.

Send completed permit application and other documents to [email protected] for fastest processing.

Permit fees vary by access type and are due before permit issuance. Impact fees are collected by the Highway District at the time of access permit issuance. See our Transportation Impact Fee page for more information.

Access permits will typically be processed within 5-7 business days of receipt of a complete application, excepting site specific considerations or issues with lot creation or other access restrictions which may require additional time and research. Rural highway permits (not in recently platted subdivisions) require field inspections and may take additional time to determine an acceptable access location.

Utility Permits

To submit a utility permit application for utility or maintenance work within the HD4 right-of-way, please include the following:

  • Vicinity Map including street names, property address, or parcel number
  • Utility plan for new installations or non-routine maintenance, or reference plans previously approved by HD4.
  • Temporary Traffic Control Plan
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance (see insurance requirements below)

Effective February 1, 2024, all utility permits applications must be submitted by the utility owner.  The work may be performed by subcontractors provided they have a performance bond and liability insurance on file with the District, however the permit holder will be the utility owner, who will be responsible for oversight of all subcontractor activities affecting the public right-of-way.  

Send permit application and other submittals to [email protected] for fastest processing.

Permit fees and deposits vary by construction type, and are due before permit issuance unless permit billing is arranged.  A construction deposit or bond is required for work within HD4 right-of-way.  HD4 will retain on file insurance certificates and bonds for utility work/permitting until expiration to expedite utility permit review.

Permit review and approval times may vary depending on staff workload.  Currently plan for 2-3 days for minor service line or repair jobs, and two or more weeks for linear projects or utility main extensions.  There are numerous job permits underway across the District, and permit start dates may be delayed to avoid overlap of construction zones or detour routes previously permitted.  Please plan ahead.

Setback Waiver


Set Back Waiver Application 71.92 KB 8103 downloads


Canyon County Code 07-19-10 establishes a 70-foot building setback from all section and quarter section lines for preservation of roadway corridors at one-half mile intervals.  HD4 may waive or reduce this setback in certain instances:

  • Future ultimate right-of-way width and standard county building setback is less than 70-feet
  • No roadway is planned along the section or quarter section line, or an alternate alignment has been established
  • Terrain or other topographic features make roadway development impractical
  • Other nearby existing structures along the alignment have setbacks less than 70-feet

Include a site plan showing the property boundaries, any adjacent or affected public roads, the property address or parcel number, and the requested setback.  There is no fee for setback waivers that meet the above conditions and may be approved by staff.  A $150 fee is required for consideration of requests not meeting the exceptions outlined above, and is subject to approval by the CHD4 Board of Comissioners.

Special Use Permit


Application for Special Use Permit 195.25 KB 8296 downloads


Special Use permits are available for all other non-traffic uses of the public highways and rights-of-way, subject to approval by HD4.  Approved uses include special events or temporary commercial uses where the use does not create hazards to safety, or unnecessarily impede traffic flows or property access.  These requests are approved on a case-by-case basis.  Please include the following information with a Special Use Permit application:

  • Location (affected roads, intersections, etc...)
  • Duration
  • Number of participants or description of proposed uses
  • Temporary Traffic Control Plan
  • Written approval from Canyon County Sheriff's Office (Traffic Division)
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance for the event or use, with HD4 named as an additional insured